[Xastir] Weather Stations

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 1 12:55:31 PDT 2018

It might be easier to run an instance of aprsc on another RPi3 and have
that allow you to get the data locally, as well as having the aprsc
instance talk to one (or more) of the servers...

That might break our round-robin paradigm, however. I'll have to cogitate
on that for a bit.

gerry

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM Dj Merrill <xastir at deej.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Gerry.
>
> If you don't mind running an older version of Xastir (2.0.4 I believe),
> you can just do a "apt-get install xastir" to install it on the RPi.
>
> It didn't take very long to compile version 2.1.1 on a model 3 B. I
> think it may have taken me about 30 mins in total from doing the "git
> clone" to having it up and running (copying a working Xastir config from
> the previous version).
>
> Is there any way to have WeeWX send the data directly to Xastir? I would
> like to avoid a dependency on the Internet for getting the data from the
> weather station, and I can potentially see a desire to be able to send
> the weather data via the APRS RF link in the future.
>
> If not, then I might be back to figuring out how to have Xastir talk to
> the weather station directly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dj
>

> On 9/25/2018 5:38 PM, Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> > Another project I want to pursue: Xastir on a Pi. Should be
> > straightforward, but I need more than the usual 28 hours in the workday!
> >
> > Since you've got a callsign, have WeeWx send data to 'rotate.aprs.net'
> and '
> > rotate.aprs2.net' then connect to one of the Core servers and snag
> weather
> > data from the Core. There's also an aggregation service where you can get
> > data if you want to get more than just ham operators, but I don't
> advertise
> > that much...
> >
> > gerry
> >

> --
> Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
> Currently Flying: Glastar
> Previously: Cessna 150 - Glasair 1 FT - Grumman AA1B

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371