[Xastir] Weather Stations

Dj Merrill xastir at deej.net
Mon Oct 1 18:38:39 PDT 2018

I think I have figured out one possibility that I will test once I have
some time.

There is a WeeWX extension to generate APRS packets and write them to a
file:
https://github.com/cavedon/weewx-aprs

If I can get that to work, I can write a simple bash script that will
read that file, and use the Xastir command "xastir_udp_client" to send
the data to either the RF port, the Internet, or both. Call the script
from a cron job that runs as often as needed.

I should be able to do some simple checks to ensure that the same data
isn't sent twice (ie, if the file hasn't been updated, don't do anything).

Assuming all of that works, I'll be able to use WeeWX to send the
weather data to the Internet servers directly, and to generate the html
files to be able to view the weather station data directly, then enable
the above script if I want to send the weather data over RF using Xastir.

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87