[Xastir] Position data from Xastir not accepted by Yaesu FTM-400 or Direwolf

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:05:20 PDT 2018

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't know how your packet is getting
from xastir to the receiver that's connected to direwolf. This is the
packet that direwolf (allegedly :) received, which may or may not be the
packet that xastir actually sent.

when I look at raw data from aprs.fi there are other mangled third party
versions of your packets, similar to the one you posted but with different
call signs in the digi/gate slots.

-j

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM Tom Henderson <Tom at henderson4.us> wrote:

> OK, that explains what a third party packet is. What I still don't
> understated s why xastir is generating a third party packet as its
> beacon, and a malformed one at that. Is anyone else experiencing this
> from the beacons xastir transmits?
>
> Tom Henderson
>
> On 10/23/18 3:17 PM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:44 PM Tom Henderson <Tom at henderson4.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Can you explain what you mean by "third party packet?"
> > Short answer, it's packet that's embedded in another packet. Usually
> > (only?) seen on-air when an Igate takes a packet from the network and
> > transmits over RF.
> >
> > from  http://www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/PROTOCOL.TXT :
> >
> > THIRD PARTY FORMAT:  One special format character } allows any APRS
> > packet to be carried or transmitted by any other station.  This is
> > what allows the both the ZIPLAN and IGATE messaging capability!  On
> > receipt of a 3rd party packet, the original header is dropped and the
> > packet is recursively parsed again, beginning at the {.  To show that
> > it has been carried by another station, the call of that station is
> > extracted from the as-received header and inserted  as a pseudo digi*
> > in the digi path.   Example:
> >      W3XYZ>APRS,DIGI*:}W4ABC>APRS,WIDE:>121234zStatus
> > will be processed as  W4ABC>APRS,WIDE,W3XYZ,DIGI*:>121234zStatus
> > Notice how the "carrying station" W3XYZ is inserted as if it had been
> > a digi in the path
> >

> > also see
> >
> > http://www.aprs-is.net/IGating.aspx
> >
> > http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx