[Xastir] wx data and stream to map

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:40:30 PDT 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, vea12bore wrote:

> Don't know what to think.  My weather stream is getting into the aprs net
> stream as viewed on findu, but is not showing up at all on my map in Xastir.
> Here's what is supposedly going out:
>
> K4XTT>APRS,TCPIP*,qAC,CWOP-2:@172110z3836.00N/07846.00W_196/002g007t081r000p039P038b09677h68.WD
> 190
>
> Is there anybody with ideas as to why it is not showing up on the map, and I
> have my call and verification number correctly entered.  I'm thinking that
> I'm not getting in the stream from aprs servers. No filters set on the server
> interface and using "second.aprs.net 10152"
>
> What should I be looking for, and thanks in advance

You should see your own Xastir station on it's map. Check your "Station -> Filter Data" and "Station->Filter Display" menus. If the above _is_ your Xastir station then it's probably just those local filtering settings.

You say the K4XTT station above is not appearing in Xastir: Should I assume that it is a different station than the Xastir station? If the weather station is a separate station and you're not seeing it on the Xastir map, it could be because:

* You need a range filter in Xastir or some other filter to pull it in from the servers.

* You're using a range filter in Xastir but not transmitting your location so the servers don't know what's in range of your Xastir station.

* You're using a range filter in Xastir but the weather station is not within the range of where you said Xastir was located.

* Some other filter is in place but not performing as you intended when you wrote it.

* Filter Display or Filter Data settings are wrong for what you're trying to view.

Those are what I can think of in short order.

Server-side Filter Commands. You use these against port 14580 instead of 10152:

   http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprsfilter.aspx

10152 is a full feed. Most people use the filtered port instead these days to reduce the amount of traffic they're pulling down, often with a range filter.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.aprs2.net, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"