[Xastir] GPS Rollover Event, April 6th 2019

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Apr 3 14:08:34 PDT 2019

By all means, check your GPS units and manufacturer's web sites.  But most
GPSen sold since 1999 are already compliant with the 2019 WNRO, so only
the older units will typically be a problem -- and even those probably
aren't in trouble if you were keeping up with firmware updates back around
1999.  So while it's prudent to check with your GPS's manufacturer to verify
that it's good, it's not likely to be something to panic over:

https://www.xyht.com/gnsslocation-tech/wnro/

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 02:00:25PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> This event is happening April 6th. Check your GPS receivers to see if they
> are operable after this date.
>
> Now is a good time to check for newer GPS firmware with the manufacturer.
>
> An article describing it:
>
> https://insidegnss.com/schriever-air-force-base-announces-next-gps-week-number-rollover/
>
> A statement from Garmin about the rollover event:
> https://support.garmin.com/en-PH/?faq=zWQY6Z2kFiAuY9kDnDBgZ6
>
> Here's a web page on what to do if your GPS receiver messes up. I believe
> this was written in 1999 around the time of the FIRST gps week rollover
> event and gives hope that even those GPS receivers that mess up can be made
> whole again: http://gpsinformation.net/main/eowgarmin.htm
> Be sure to read the entire page. In particular the master clear may mess
> you up (listed in the bottom section), so skip that part. The top section
> looks safe. Looks to be newest text at the top, oldest at the bottom.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM