[Xastir] Is lightning detector useful for APRS?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 09:14:32 PDT 2019

So I’ve got one of these:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15276

It detects lightning and gives you a distance to “the head of the storm” (per datasheet).  There’s no bearing info, just a distance.

I plan to integrate this by creating a circle object to plot on my xastir map, and maybe a zero hop message. I hope this will be useful as part of a ground station for some outdoor events to clue us in on when to take appropriate precautions.

Without bearing data is there any way to make this generally useful to the point it’s something I would want to transmit?  I’m thinking not (unless I build a network of them and set a short range filter to create lightning strike objects with appropriate uncertainty).

Any thoughts on how to use this thing?

-Jason