[Xastir] Festival_server run from systemd

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 11:04:22 PDT 2019

Has anyone figured out a good solution for "festival_server" run from
"systemd" to access a user's Pulseaudio?

OpenSuSE's systemd starts festival_server as the "festival" user, which has
no access to a user's Pulseaudio stream. If you run a "festival" command
instead at the command-line (which doesn't use festival_server) it has that
access 'cuz you're running it as the user, so you hear speech output.

See this new Wiki page I just created, particularly the very end:

https://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Festival#Getting_Festival_Working_with_Xastir

I also added a link to it from our FAQ Wiki page in the Festival section.

If anyone has a good solution for granting access to the user's Pulseaudio
from festival_server running as another user, please let us know. and I'll
update the Wiki page accordingly.

--
Curt, WE7U        http://we7u.wetnet.net        http://www.sarguydigital.com