[Xastir] Radar

David Flood davidf4 at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 27 08:34:25 PDT 2019

William,

I've been giving this some thought since you sent this.

You are correct that the included Maps link for Xastir radar are broken.
During the last few redesigns of the NWS websites and available datasets the
data needed to work with Xastir became unobtainium.

That being said, it is nice that some sort of information (note I didn't say
data) is being provided once again.  However, there doesn't appear to be an
easy way to use the files from the link you provided since they don't have any
coordinates associated with them.  They're just pictures of the current radar
returns.  So, download methods aside, someone would have to view each and
every one and figure out the approximate zoom factor that matches up with the
GIF and then do the programming to only display the GIF when you're near that
zoom factor.

Assuming that someone did that, then there's the question of downloading the
pictures.  Since they're constantly changing, there probably would have to be
a completely different program written that gives the user the list of
available radar choices and then every X minutes retrieves the appropriate
choices to someplace local where Xastir can then read it.  Sort of a local WX
Image Server...

So, until someone finds the ATU's to do all of the above or the NWS starts
providing the actual data behind the pictures, there doesn't appear to be an
easy way to get semi-live radar displays back in Xastir.  Or at least that's
my take from the Peanut Gallery...

Dave
KD7MYC