[Xastir] dbfawk and floats

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 18:26:11 PDT 2019

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:08 PM Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> It looks like dbfawk is always converting whatever attribute it finds into
> a string, and there's no way to do integer or floating point compares in
> a dbfawk file at all, just strings.  You'd have to come up with some way
> of doing string pattern matching to get the job done.
>
> What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

In the natural earth file ne_50m_geography_marine_polys I'm selectively
displaying the label of a feature based on zoom level and the relative size
of the feature. There's a field called "scalerank"  that's an integer in
the 0-6 range that indicates the relative scale of the feature - e.g. the
Atlantic Ocean is a 0, the Mediterranean is a 1, and the Chesapeake Bay is
a 4. I'm using this number to determine the maximum zoom level
(label_level) for displaying the label for that map feature.

Oceans were no problem as the data type is an integer.  After some
frustration I figured out that the same field name in a different file (
ne_50m_lakes ) is a float. Once I figured that out I found a RE to match it.

Thank for confirming what I had guessed.

-Jason
kg4wsv