[Xastir] Did the NWS pull a fast one - Shapefile data

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 21 16:09:48 PST 2019

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 03:45:04PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <davidf4 at mindspring.com> flavor, containing:
> I think that despite the filename being the same, the NWS pulled a fast one
> and silently updated the z_10oc19.dbf file.

They have done that time and again, which is why there is a proliferation
of dbfawks in the config directory (so that people who don't want to update
their NWS files constantly don't have their old files made useless when
we change the dbfawk to make them work with the new files --- so instead,
each time there's a change we just create a new dbfawk and leave the old in
place).

> I did a git pull today and it pulled in a new get-NWSDATA script so I went
> ahead and ran it after a full compile.  It's reporting that there isn't a
> dbfawk signature match for that NWS file.
>
> I took a look at the Wiki but I can't tell which file(s) in the dbfwak
> database are used for the z_ files so I'm having trouble rolling my own.

The dbfawks associated with the NWS zone shapefiles are "nwsz_*.dbfawk)
in the config directory.

Copy the latest one, which would be nwsz_ddmmyy13.dbfawk (appears
that the zone signature hasn't changed in 6 years --- it used to change
more often).  Call it "nwsz_ddmmyy19.dbfawk" and change the "dbfinfo" line
to match the signature in the new files (which you can get by using the "testdbfawk" program:
testdbfawk -D /usr/local/share/xastir/config -d [your new shapefile name]
whose second line of output is the signature, which could be cut and pasted
into the "dbfinfo" value.

If they haven't changed the actual names of columns, just the ordering, you
should be good to go.  If they changed the names, you'll have to change the
"dbffields" variable, too, to pick out the two important columns, the zone
number and the  name.

If that fixes things, then let us know and we can add the new dbfawk to the
repo.  Curt just updated get-NWS a couple of weeks ago, and perhaps overlooked
this step (since it's been a few years since dbfawks needed updating).

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM