[Xastir] Font errors continue

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 11 15:17:35 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:06:57PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > get_rotated_label_text_height_pixels: Couldn't get font
> > -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>

> Somehow your xastir is using the font string
>
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> which is invalid, but
>
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> is.  see the difference? the two dashed before the 14 should have * between
> them.
>
> No idea how you would have gotten this corrupted string, unless it was
> accidentally corrupted when viewing the font setup?

When I put either of these two fonts into xfontsel on my box they both
find the same font.  This is just the difference between adstyl of (null)
and adstyl of *.  They should both be valid and refer to the same font, as
the null selection and the wildcard should be both OK.

I believe that the real issue is that some time ago Debian and its variants
dropped the old school 100dpi and 75dpi fonts from their list of required
dependencies for their X11 package (presumably because these low resolution
fonts are passe on modern systems).  The adobe helvetica fonts are all in
those packages, and Xastir has always used them as defaults.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM