[Xastir] Help needed with proj library compatibility

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Mar 15 11:09:03 PDT 2019

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:08:34AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> > On Mar 15, 2019, at 10:03 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> >
> > If you have been using tools like gdalwarp
> > or ogr2ogr to convert map data into formats that Xastir understands natively,
> > that would remain the best approach and would not be impacted if I were to
> > remove all GDAL/OGR support from Xastir.
>
> +1

I have already done this removal of GDAL support on a branch in my personal
git clone.  I can merge it and push at any time, but I'll wait a few days
to hear from more users.  If I don't hear anything more by Sunday night, I'll
push and this support will be no more.

While I was at it, I also removed the problematic "contrib" programs from the
internal shapelib.  With that, I will trivially satisfy the need to stop using
the old proj.4 API, because we won't be using *ANY* proj API directly.  All
use of proj will be indirect through the libgeotiff library.  And libgeotiff
has already addressed the API deprecation issue themselves.

Someday I would like to start a discussion about removing the internal
shapelib as well, now that every single package management system includes
a more recent and maintained shapelib.  But not today.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM