[Xastir] A few changes

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sat May 4 13:22:37 PDT 2019

Hey Tom,

> The list does not accept attachments.

So I noticed... bummer.

> If you're not getting the git SHA in the about box, there may be
> something up with how you're building Xastir.  Are you building from sources
> out of a git clone, or are you downloading a zip file from the
> github web interface?

git clone

> What does "git log --pretty=format:%h -1" show when you're in the source
> directory?

Ok.. I think I know what's going on here.  I'm using the git clone data
but I'm packaging things into an RPM and in that process, I tar up the
sources but I strip out the .git stuff as it's all bloat):

    tar czvf
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/xastir-2.1.1git-20190501gitaf3d59d9.tgz
xastir-2.1.1git/* --exclude xastir-2.1.1git/.git

Would it be enough to just keep:

    .git/logs/HEAD

to make this all work?

>>         1.b  Shows they year 2018
> Is this just in the copyright date?  That's hard coded and needs updating
> before we release, but doesn't help determine what version's actually running.

Yes.. and seems it should be updated.  :-)

> A graceless exit will still cause stray Xastir processes -- -but they should
> no longer cause double windows on startup.  You still have to kill them
> by hand.

Ok.. I'll test that.  What would be the best way to kill Xastir to
reproduce this.  Will using the "kill <PID>" be enough or should I send
a specific signal?

> Good news, but we should confirm that you're actually testing exactly the
> current code, which is hard to do if the git SHA-1 doesn't show up in your
> about box.

Agreed though I'm pretty sure I'm testing the right code as I package
EVERYTHING.

--David
KI6ZHD