[Xastir] Ambient Weather Station

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Nov 26 21:26:01 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:10:24PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <joe at laferla.ca> flavor, containing:

> If the Ambient uses the wxnow.txt format, I have a script that was kindly provided to me by Tom Russo on the Xastir list.  You will have to create a network connected port on xastir and on the  ambient computer. If you need it, email me and I will send it.

The wxnow script is actually in the distribution now in the scripts
directory (wxnowsrv.pl).  It masquerades as a networked weather station
(like Davis or LaCrosse do), but reads the wxnow.txt file at fixed intervals.
To run it, you provide the path to the file and the period with which
it should be checked for changes.  You can give it an optional port number
to listen on, or it'll pick 5500 by default.

   /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/wxnowsrv.pl /path/to/wxnow.txt 60

will check the file every minute for changes.

Then you just add a networked WX interface to Xastir, and point it at this
server port.  Doesn't have to be running on the same machine as Xastir, even.

> Joe VA3JLF
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM