[Xastir] Installing Xastir on Mint

wa7skg wa7skg at wa7skg.com
Thu Oct 24 10:51:03 PDT 2019

Progress is definitely being made. Using the
https://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Debian_Stretch_or_Jessie went through
smoothly.

My next problem was getting the interface to work. I could access my TNC
through minicom without difficulty, however Xastir could not access it.
I did the "chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir" I found recommended in
several places with no joy. Finally, in desperation, I did "chmod 777
/dev/ttyS0" and Xastir successfully connected to the TNC and I am
displaying data. That probably is not the best option, but it is all I
could get to work for now.

As I continued reading the instructions, I found the point about
starting the festival server. So, I closed Xastir and started festival
with the following results:

"michael at Desk4:~/src/Xastir$  festival --server &
[1] 3640
michael at Desk4:~/src/Xastir$ "Could not find any of these voices:"
(nitech_us_slt_arctic_hts nitech_us_awb_arctic_hts
nitech_us_bdl_arctic_hts nitech_us_clb_arctic_hts
nitech_us_jmk_arctic_hts nitech_us_rms_arctic_hts kal_diphone
ked_diphone cstr_us_awb_arctic_multisyn cstr_us_jmk_arctic_multisyn)

WARNING
No default voice found in ("/usr/share/festival/voices/")
either no voices unpacked or voice-path is wrong
Scheme interpreter will work, but there is no voice to speak with.
WARNING

server    Thu Oct 24 10:26:18 2019 : Festival server started on port 1314

michael at Desk4:~/src/Xastir$"

I did a little research on this problem and found the following:

"This is because the festival package does not include something as
trivial as a default voice. This means you need to install the default
voice Festival looks for separately, as it is found in the
festvox-kallpc16k package:

sudo apt-get install festival festvox-kallpc16k

Voilà! You should now be able to use Festival properly."

Perhaps you may want to address these issues in the wiki document.

Thanks everyone for your help. It looks like I have Xastir working.
Granted, I still don't know what to do with it or what I am looking at,
but it does seem to work.

73,
Michael WA7SKG