[Xastir] Desktop Icon for Xastir on Mint

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Fri Oct 25 18:00:05 PDT 2019

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:29:11 PM PDT wa7skg wrote:
> New subject. Got Xastir working and a few issues remain. Apparently, on
> restart or whatever, I need to open a terminal and start the festival
> server. Then I have to start Xastir in the terminal. Is it possible to
> have festival start when the computer starts? More importantly, Xastir

I'm not familiar with mint but on my systems (openSUSE) festival is started by a
systemd service file.

I've included mine below and it should work on mint but I make no guarantees.

Copy the below into a file called festival.service
On openSUSE service files are in /usr/lib/systemd/system.  Your mileage may vary.

Enable with: sudo systemctl enable festival
Start with: sudo systemctl start festival.

--------------cut here-----------
[Unit]
Description=festival daemon providing full text-to-speech system
After=remote-fs.target
After=time-sync.target
Wants=remote-fs.target

[Service]
Type=forking
Restart=no
TimeoutSec=5min
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
KillMode=process
GuessMainPID=no
RemainAfterExit=yes
SuccessExitStatus=5 6
ExecStart=/usr/lib/festival/server start
ExecStop=/usr/lib/festival/server stop
ExecReload=/usr/lib/festival/server reload

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
--------------cut here-----------

--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
SvxLink Repeaters: http://pnw220.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
"WOW, What a ride!"