[Xastir] My question related to MAPS_AUTO_MAPS in xastir.cnf

Claude Frantz Claude.Frantz at bayern-mail.de
Wed Apr 15 07:01:16 PDT 2020

On 4/15/20 3:07 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> "Auto maps" is a thing in Xastir that few people use anymore.  It was a way
> of "automatically" choosing when to display them that was ultimately
> superceded by the layer and min/max zoom levels options in the map chooser
> properties.  It still exists and can still be used, and is turned on using the
> "Enable auto maps" option in the Map menu.

Many thanks, Tom.

> As I recall, "Auto Maps" never worked very well, which is why most people
> went to the more configurable method.  I do recall that someone on the
> list had some trick where he used both auto maps and the manually configured
> layer and min/max zoom to acheive some specific use case but I can't for
> the life of me remember what that was.

In my local config, there was MAPS_AUTO_MAPS=1. I ignore why. This
config has been used over several releases of Xastir, but the display of
maps worked only for a short time. I was not able to find why. I had the
suspicion that no maps could be loaded. Finally, I have started with an
empty config dir and I have tried to find the differences. After some
time, I have found this MAPS_AUTO_MAPS=1. After I had set it to zero,
there was a map display available. This is the reason of my question.

> I haven't turned auto maps on in at least 16 years.

Now, I have set it to zero, also.

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 01:48:51PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <Claude.Frantz at bayern-mail.de> flavor, containing:

What is a bogon-computron collision ?

Best wishes,