[Xastir] Xastir and Streamdeck

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 08:29:19 PDT 2020

Zoom levels are to some extent already tied to function keys. Most other
things don't have F ket or ALT key sequences.

you may be able to create some macros (xdotool) that you invoke with the
keyboard, but that could be dependent on the specific location of windows,
number of entries in a list, etc and that could make things very finicky.

If you're not familiar with Motif, there are some key sequences that
usually start with the ALT key that trigger menus, etc. If you'll notice
the xastir File menu, the F is underlined - this means you can hold the ALT
key, press F, and the menu will drop down. So I could hit ALT-F, then C,
then A to bring up the audio alarms dialog box. then i can use tab to
switch between items on that dialog.

Many (most?) dialogs do not have full functionality with keyboard
shortcuts; you'll have to move and click a mouse sooner or later.

So I guess the answer is "it depends on what you want to do".

the pi has some GPIOs that you can wire to buttons and script button
presses (to e.g. run a program) and do the job an order of magnitude (or
two) cheaper than a streamdeck.

-j

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM Brian <toy4trax at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible (for a non-programmer) to use a streamdeck with Xastir to
> do things like start/stop/re-start interfaces, change zoom levels, etc? In
> a mobile application I can’t mess around with mouses and menus, but can
> click a button on a keyboard. Specifically a streamdeck connected to a Pi
> running Xastir.
>

> Have A Day- Make It A Great One

-Jason
kg4wsv