[Xastir] what is firenet?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 15 12:15:43 PST 2020

I'm sure others who are closer to the firenet system will pipe in soon, but
as a quick answer, firenet uses the same software as the aprs-is backbone
and has all of the same data, but *also* has some data that was deemed
unacceptable by some gatekeeperon the aprs-is itself (water gauges,
fire information, etc.).

You can use it like aprs-is, as the "appropriate" data is properly gated to
and from the aprs-is servers.  You just wind up with a lot more stuff
to display.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:11:56PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ke6sls at arrl.net> flavor, containing:

> I just cleared out several hundred emails from this list and noted the
> current issues with "firenet".  Is firenet aprsis or some other system?
>
> tnx & 73
>
> --
>
> wishing you well
> Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM