[Xastir] how do I edit Map Chooser online lists

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Feb 4 11:51:37 PST 2020

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 01:29:42PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <morrison.monahans at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> I've been running Xastir for many years,?? and I'd like to edit and remove
> old online map sources that are no longer available. Can anyone point me to
> information and adding and removing online map sources from the Map Chooser
> list.
>
> I'd like to remove sources such as Cloudmade and Terraserver sources still
> appear in my map chooser, and are no longer functional.

Remove the obsolete map files from the directory where they were installed,
then reindex maps.

Look in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online and get rid of the ones
that Xastir no longer installs.  Once that's done, using Xastir's
"Reindex All Maps" will re-examine the contents of the maps directory
and reconstruct its index.  The result will be that those maps will
stop appearing in the chooser.  They will continue to appear in the
chooser UNTIL you reindex, though, because the chooser is constructed
from the local index in your ~/.xastir/cnf/map_index.sys file.

The problem here is that when you update Xastir, it doesn't remove
previously installed files that are no longer installed by new
versions --- they just stay around as zombies until you remove them by
hand.

The easiest way to see which maps are zombies is to do an update of Xastir
from source and install it, then look at /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online
and see which maps are NOT dated with today's dates.  Those are the ones
that we removed from the distribution because we know they don't work anymore.
They are safe to remove by hand and will not get reinstalled next time you
update.

If you find maps that ARE installed by the current version and which
are broken, we either need to get them fixed or get rid of them.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM