[Xastir] Garmin Tempe

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Fri Feb 21 10:57:51 PST 2020

I learned a small bit more since yesterday.

The Tempe is a transmit only device. My watch (Garmin Instinct) and my GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 64st) are both receiving the temperature now. The Tempe does not send data continuously. The watch shows a "Not connected" state until a temperature packet is received. The GPS shows the data constantly once it receives data.

I also re-learned the RTL is not going to work. Thanks for the reminder Jason!

I am curious it the GPS actually includes the data in a sentence or not. When I get a chance, I'll check that.

There are some USB transceivers in the $15 range on Amazon.

Hmm, plotting waypoints on a GPS? On my GPS, the only options for ANT are: heart rate, bike (speed cadence), Tempe. Receiving waypoints probably won't work but I can't really say either way. There is an option to send/receive wirelessly but in the option it list 'Base Camp Mobile'. So it could be a Bluetooth connection. The only mobile link I could find points to iTunes. There are Windows and Mac BaseCamp. Other than this short diversion, I have not explored much.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH