[Xastir] Installation help with Xubuntu

Lee D Bengston kilo5dat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:42:13 PST 2020

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Dominick Spina <domwrx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am hitting a roadblock with a new installation of Xastir.
>
> The steps I am taking are:
>
> Download Xastir git file to /usr/local/bin

Hello Dominick, you should download Xastir from Github into either your
home directory or a directory that is underneath your home directory.  Then
from there you want to make sure you are not executing any of the commands
as root, i.e. do not use sudo.  Your user in Xubuntu cannot write to
/usr/local/bin, so you do not want the source code downloaded there.

> Run bootstrap.sh
> mkdir -p build
> cd build
> ../configure

So I would pull the code (via git) from somewhere under your home directory
and retry the steps from there. When you get to the "sudo make install"
step, that's when the xastir executable gets installed in /usr/local/bin,
and in that case you are not specifying that directory - the script does
that by default.

73,
Lee K5DAT