[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 689, Issue 2

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jan 7 12:04:07 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 12:38:46PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 09:53:02AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <fredferickson at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> >
> > I'm replying after Tom's message since it is the last in the thread but
> > this is just to let Dominick know that the instructions here:
> > http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_14.04-17.04 work just fine
> > when followed exactly, step by step.
> >
> > Yesterday, after reading this thread, I followed the instructions on my
> > Acer Aspire 5734Z, which is several years old and was the cheapest
> > laptop Best Buy had at the time. Installed os is Linux Mint 19.3
> > Tricia. No problems were encountered except building gdal took a very
> > long time. Wish I had started a timer or even tee'd it to a file.
>
> It should no longer be necessary to build gdal.  Xastir no longer uses it.
>
> If you're using gdal tools (e.g. gdalwarp or ogr2ogr) to process map files
> then that's another matter, but if you were only building it for Xastir's
> sake it's a waste of time now (and the instructions for adding it should
> have been removed from the wiki installation notes already in most cases).

I know I went through the wiki after I removed GDAL support from Xastir
back in October and tried to get rid of gdal references in build instructions.  I missed some, including the Ubuntu 14.04-17.04 page.  I have fixed that
one now.

There are way too many system-specific install notes for outdated systems on
the wiki, and it makes them impossible to keep up to date.  Some of the systems
are years old and some are many years past their end of life.

We need to clear out the wiki of outdated cruft.  Any help in that regard
would be appreciated.  It great that folks contribute new build instructions
there, but we really need to clean them out when the systems they refer to
become obsolete.  Most of these pages are just minor deltas off of each other,
with huge chunks of duplicated text that is a maintenance nightmare.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM