[Xastir] Xastir with RPi3B using a 3, 5" TFT touch screen 480x320

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 09:08:17 PDT 2021

I find the 800x480 7" touchscreen a bit difficult to use (IIRC some menus
don't fit on the screen) using the 640x480 updates Brett mentions.  Part of
that is the clumsiness of the touchscreen (my fat fingers aren't as precise
as the mouse that Motif was designed for).

It would be unusable with a smaller screen resolution. The screen would be
dominated by menus (some of them anyway) and status bar.

You can easily test this for yourself, just run xastir on a normal display
and shrink the window to the number of pixels that match resolution you're
considering.

-j

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:55 AM Brett Friermood <brett.friermood at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Cyril,
>
> I don't know if I've heard of anyone using that small of a display, but
> Xastir does have some built-in abilities to help with smaller displays.
> However, to take advantage of them will require recompiling from source. If
> you have not installed Xastir via that method already it could be a steep
> learning curve for you.
>
> Prior to compiling there is a flag in main.c (search for "LCD640x480TOUCH")
> that can be uncommented to make the changes including moving where dialogs
> display, swapping mouse button functions to work with touchscreens, and
> reconfiguring the status message area. Additionally, changing the font to a
> smaller size will help.
>
> As the flag name implies, things were specifically set up for a 640x480
> resolution, so I'm not sure how well it will work with such a small display
> as you are using.
>
> Brett KQ9N
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM f1mhv <f1mhv at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello Group,
> >
> > Does anyone have feedbacks on using Xastir with a RPi3B together with 3,5
> > » TFT touch screen 480x320 resolution screen? For the time being i have a
> > partial and shrink Xastir window making-it unusable…
> >
> > 73 de Cyril - DF1CHB - F1MHV

-Jason
kg4wsv