[Xastir] Tinytrak TNC not opening interface

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Mon Feb 8 12:07:16 PST 2021

> Jason, I think its in KISS.  Regarding the readable payload with binary garbage, I'm getting it.  Here's some of what putty sees, so I think the baud rate is good too.
> KC3OBB-1>APT314,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:>MT-Omega v1.47
> KC3OBB-1>APT314,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:$GPRMC,190857,A,4015.8900,N,07946.0796,W,000,057,080221,,*03/TT3 ROCKET|!"#c'6|!w!x!

That's definitely NOT KISS and that's not "binary gargage" as that's
almost all plain text.  True binary data coming from APRS in KISS form
would look like for six received packets (each question mark represent a
non-ASCII binary value):
--
?????h@`??l???|??l???????b@??????????d@??200Ah Solar
Generator???n????`??l???`??l??????b@??????????d@??`2.hl
 >/'"3y}|!e%e']|!wA:!|3??????@@`??l???b?l??@@??@082002z3755.50N/12 P
?????dj?`??l???d??l???????b@@??=3658.94N/12200.92W-Cap in Santa Cruzt
Diablo/A=003624=003624
--

As you can see, most of the data received in KISS form is binary but
there is some human readible text in there (GPS coordinates, beacon

In your example, you're non-KISS output, you should read it as:

KC3OBB-1           - sender's callsign and SSID
                      Strange, this callsign isn't found in aprs.fi - maybe you're not on 144.390Mhz?

    APT314          - sending packets from a TinyTrack III - http://aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt
    WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 - sending to both forms of APRS packet distributions
    MT-Omega v1.47  - Seems this TNC is sending out it's model and version number

Next packet
    $GPRMC - This seems like an unexpanded GPS location

    The next oath does include the packet's position, etc. including an
identifier of "TT3 ROCKET" meaning it's a TinyTrack tracker

    The binary data behind that string might be some sort of embedded
telemetry data.

You'll need to make sure you have a valid script in your Xastir install
to enable KISS on your TNC and restart it go be active:

    https://xastir.org/index.php/XASTIR_Manual#Serial_KISS_TNC

--David
KI6ZHD