[Xastir] Networking issue for Cygwin (and possible solution)

Russell Lees easternontariotracks at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 09:58:39 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I have been running Xastir on Cygwin for many years but had to stop taking
updates at one point because recent versions will not connect to internet
servers.  (Host IP lookup failure, port 0, rc 4, DEVICE_ERROR ***).  I even
tried a clean install on another machine (also 64-bit) to rule out anything
else as a cause and the same error occurred. I was fortunate enough today to
find some discussions which led me to a possible solution: zero-fill the
hints block immediately before the call to getaddrinfo (in
forked_getaddrinfo.c), i.e.:

memset (&hints, 0, sizeof hints);  //"prepare" the hints block

rc = getaddrinfo(hostname, servname, hints, &res0);

I am not yet sure why this works for Xastir but I figured I would share now
in case it is readily apparent to someone with greater insight.  The initial
theory involved a discrepancy in structure sizes in the 64-bit Cygwin.
However, to validate this theory I set up another machine with 32-bit Cygwin
(which will not be updated beyond the current version) and I experienced the
same problem which required that same fix above.

Thanks and regards,

Russell Lees       VE3TUK