[Xastir] Networking issue for Cygwin

Jason Godfrey godfreja at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 17:39:33 PDT 2021

This is something I should have done right off the bat and I missed it.
I'll put together a mod to add this in and go back to my original change
and see if I missed anything else.

Jason

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 7:07 PM Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> Generally speaking, it's bad form to use uninitialized variables for
> precisely this reason.
>
> Initializing the entire hints datastructure to zeros before setting the
> specific bits we actually need sounds like the right thing to do.
>
> The man page for getaddrinfo even shows that memset prior to using the
> hints structure.
>
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 08:01:19PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <easternontariotracks at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > That works!  I take it this confirms the specified values are working and
> > the issue is with the contents of the rest of the structure.
> Documentation
> > suggests the other hints fields should be 0 or null pointers, so I added
> > test on the three pointer fields { as for example
> > (hints.ai_addr==NULL)?"Null":"Not null" } and without the memset hack
> they
> > all turn up "Not null".  Could this mean Cygwin is initializing the
> > structure in an unusual way?
> > Thanks,
> > Russ

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to
verify their authenticity." - *Abraham Lincoln*