[Xastir] A few bugs under Gentoo

David Flood david_flood at msn.com
Sat Feb 18 10:07:58 PST 2023

Hello All,

I revisited my home Xastir setup today and after a PULL (and nuking the
source dir and doing a new CLONE) the following errors show up during
./bootstrap:

    5) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
    4) Running aclocal...
    3) Running autoheader...
    2) Running autoconf...
configure.ac:292: warning: The macro `AC_HEADER_STDC' is obsolete.
configure.ac:292: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/headers.m4:704: AC_HEADER_STDC is expanded from...
configure.ac:292: the top level
configure.ac:306: warning: The macro `AC_HEADER_TIME' is obsolete.
configure.ac:306: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/headers.m4:743: AC_HEADER_TIME is expanded from...
configure.ac:306: the top level
configure.ac:308: warning: The macro `AC_TYPE_SIGNAL' is obsolete.
configure.ac:308: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/types.m4:776: AC_TYPE_SIGNAL is expanded from...
configure.ac:308: the top level
configure.ac:329: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_COMPILE' is obsolete.
configure.ac:329: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/general.m4:2847: AC_TRY_COMPILE is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:562: AC_CHECK_GMTOFF is expanded from...
configure.ac:329: the top level
configure.ac:584: warning: The macro `AC_TRY_COMPILE' is obsolete.
configure.ac:584: You should run autoupdate.
./lib/autoconf/general.m4:2847: AC_TRY_COMPILE is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:1030: XASTIR_BERKELEY_DB_CHK is expanded from...
configure.ac:584: the top level
    1) Running automake...
configure.ac:53: installing './compile'
configure.ac:45: installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:45: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:34: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:34: installing './missing'
callpass/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
Bootstrap complete.

autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.71
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>,
<https://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html>

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

If I run AUTOUPDTE as requested here's the output:

configure.ac:292: warning: The preprocessor macro `STDC_HEADERS' is
obsolete.
  Except in unusual embedded environments, you can safely include all
  ISO C90 headers unconditionally.
configure.ac:306: warning: Update your code to rely only on HAVE_SYS_TIME_H,
then remove this warning and the obsolete code below it.
All current systems provide time.h; it need not be checked for.
Not all systems provide sys/time.h, but those that do, all allow
you to include it and time.h simultaneously.
configure.ac:308: warning: your code may safely assume C89 semantics that
RETSIGTYPE is void.
Remove this warning and the `AC_CACHE_CHECK' when you adjust the code.

The good news is that ./configure works fine and gets the options I need.I
think.  Because when I fire it up on a 64-bit VM the "move map
up/down/left/right" buttons are greyed out.  Everything else seems to work
but those buttons aren't.  Those buttons are functional on a "matching"
32-bit VM.  The only difference (besides the bit count) is that the 32-bit
doesn't see db.h but I'll fix that eventually.

The Help/About screen won't let me copy/paste but here's the highlights:

V2.1.9
Libraries:  GraphicsMagik libProj GeoTiff ShapeLib PCRE map_caching libcurl

The Motif is reporting as 2.3.8

And yes, I have done a full world update of the Gentoo up to today on both
bit VM's.

What other info would help?

Dave
KD7MYC