[Xastir] Maintaining Xastir compatibility on "obsolete" systems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Feb 19 07:03:23 PST 2023

At least a long time ago, one of Xastir's selling points was that it built and
ran on just about any Unix-like operating system.  We had users with really
old systems like Sun Solaris and so forth, and Linux was just one of many.

At this point, those systems might legitimately be considered "retrocomputing".

The problems recently brought up with new versions of autoconf
(see https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/issues/202) make it important to have
a discussion of how important this "support old systems" aspect of Xastir
remains.

If the user base feels it is no longer at all relevant, then the solution
to GNU software that rapidly marks old things as "obsolete" is just to
go with the flow and make Xastir track modern systems and only modern systems.

If folks are still running Xastir on old versions of OSen or old computers
with long-unsupported operating systems, then we can still deal with issues
such as #202, it just takes more work (e.g., instead of using macros that
GNU autoconf developers consider "obsolete", we write our own that do the
same and don't yell at users about their obsolescence).

So, is there anyone left who is basically using Xastir in a retrocomputing
environment?

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM