[Xastir] Davis Vantage Pro2, Xastir, D710.... ?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jul 12 15:16:53 PDT 2023

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 03:12:38PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott.hedberg at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I am looking for some direction.
>
> I have a TM-D710 rig which I have interfaced with Xastir without issue.
>
> I also have a Davis Vantage Pro2. I am looking for a way to be able to send
> my wx data out via Xastir, APRS, and the TM-710.
>
> I have had no luck with meteo. Fails to make despite meeting all
> dependencies.
>
> How else can I get the wx data from my Vantage Pro2 into Xastir? Is there a
> workaround using weewx?
>
> Thank you for your assistance.

If you can get hold of a Davis data logger (either usb or serial) you can
supposedly get it to interface with weewx according to some stuff I've stumbled
on by searching a weewx user group.  From there you can get weewx to
create a "wxnow.txt" file, from which you can create a fake weather server
that Xastir can read from using the "wxnowsrv.pl" script in our scripts
directory.  That script periodically polls the wxnow.pl file and produces
the same sort of network stream that either the Davis or LaCrosse daemons
in Xastir do (those programs pull data out of a database that is populated
some other way, by meteo in the davis case and via open2300 for lacrosse).

I cannot, however, help you with getting it to work with weewx.  You might
start here:  https://groups.google.com/g/weewx-user/c/NWZe-I-wYWA/m/WYnfM1tVCAAJ
It might be difficult, I cannot say, as I have neither a Davis nor weewx.

Davis used to make a device called an "APRS data logger" that would output
correct APRS weather data payloads, and if you had one of those Xastir knows
how to use it (or at least it did once, when I hacked in the capability for
a local owner of that device).  I believe this device is long discontinued.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM