[Xastir-dev] Anyone else looked at this? - SourceForge.net: Project Info - Little Shape Convertion

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Aug 21 18:33:24 EDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Gerry Creager wrote:

> FWIW, also, I've started working on a little code (really!  C!) to read
> the headers from the .shp/.shx files for the bounding boxes of each
> fileset, and write it to a SQL

Nice!

> As for the shape tools, I looked at it but I'm getting some problems...
> like seg faults.  I've not tested extensively but I'm gonna have to look
> at what they're doing.  Also some problems in the files in the archive:
> sym links pointing to things in wrong spots, at least on my systems...
>  Still, for a 0.1 release, it's a nice addition.

If they're using Shapelib then I'm not surprised.  The trick is to
make sure that you have (index + 1) fields _BEFORE_ you try to read
field[index].  We had the same problem in Xastir.  Take a look at
our code.  It has checks before every stinkin' read now.

It would have been better to make a superset of functions that do
this automatically and then call Shapelib, but I just
didn't think of doing that at the time.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com