[Xastir-dev] Anyone else looked at this? - SourceForge.net: Project Info - Little Shape Convertion

Gerry Creager gerry at cs.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 21 18:22:33 EDT 2002

FWIW, also, I've started working on a little code (really!  C!) to read
the headers from the .shp/.shx files for the bounding boxes of each
fileset, and write it to a SQL (MySQL for now, although I'm also
experimenting with PostGres/PostGIS.  We can then talk about a revamp
that will allow map selection following an SQL query, rather than
looking at each file.  This will require some thought, though, as it
seems that the best way to do this would be to have either a fixed
hierarchy of directory structure, or all the files in a single directory.

Since right now xastir relies on alphabetization for order of rendering,
and folks are putting their files in appropriate directories, this might
cause some problems, if your roads are obscured below the trees, or
whatever:-0

As for the shape tools, I looked at it but I'm getting some problems...
like seg faults.  I've not tested extensively but I'm gonna have to look
at what they're doing.  Also some problems in the files in the archive:
sym links pointing to things in wrong spots, at least on my systems...
 Still, for a 0.1 release, it's a nice addition.

gerry