[Xastir-dev] Re: [aprssig] Re: Getting Tiger2000 data?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Aug 29 20:17:30 EDT 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Ken Koster wrote:

> I've added xastir-dev to this to take the discussion where it really belongs.

Other authors may eventually add support for these files, so perhaps
we should leave it on both lists for a bit?

> Ok, I'm willing to host it on WETNET (http://wetnet.net) as long as we don't
> end up outstaying our welcome at our current hosts.

For the entire US?  Just WA?  Perhaps surrounding states as well?

> And if
> someone wants to donate some time to help organize the files I would
> appreciate it.

I could help if we can agree on the "right" organization.

It'd probably be good to state directories, then county directories
below, with an extra "county" directory called ALL_COUNTIES:

  wa/snohomish/rivers.zip
  wa/snohomish/lakes.zip
  wa/snohomish/roads.zip
  wa/snohomish/designated_places.zip (2000)
  wa/snohomish/county.zip (county2000 outline)
  wa/snohomish/misc.zip
  wa/snohomish/rail.zip
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/rivers.zip
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/lakes.zip
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/roads.zip
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/designated_places.zip (2000)
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/county.zip (county2000 outline)
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/misc.zip
  wa/ALL_COUNTIES/rail.zip

There are also:

    landmark points
    landmark polygons
    line features: Hydrography (The one I called rivers?)
    line features: Landmarks
    line features: Non-visible
    line features: Physical
    key geographic locations

and lots more stuff like school districts, urban areas (not as
useful as you might think), congressional districts, voting
districts, etc.

Comments?

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com