[Xastir-dev] Re: [aprssig] Re: Getting Tiger2000 data?

Ken Koster n7ipb at algedi.wetnet.net
Thu Aug 29 19:57:40 EDT 2002

I've added xastir-dev to this to take the discussion where it really belongs.

On Thursday 29 August 2002 12:12, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, James Jefferson wrote:
> > The tiger data, in shapefile format, is also obtainable from
> > ftp://ftp.mapshots.com/Tiger/
> It'd be better to have a nicer interface for downloading the ESRI
> data or to have an alternate site provided by a ham.

Ok, I'm willing to host it on WETNET (http://wetnet.net) as long as we don't
end up outstaying our welcome at our current hosts.   The box is mine, but the
colocation services are donated by Isomedia.  I have a spare 40gig drive that
could be donated to the cause so we should have enough space.  And if
someone wants to donate some time to help organize the files I would
appreciate it.

Before we go to far with this I think we need to agree on just what layers
are needed and what file structure (subdirs, names etc.) to use.  As others
have pointed out, downloading from the existing sites is cumbersome at best.
Some thought given to organization could do a lot to help.

I already have the whole state of Washington downloaded, but the directory
names and structure are my own quick hack for Xastir and not really suitable.

Whatever we do could fit right along with reworking Xastirs map selector to
pick just the tigermap layers we want to display.   Either by describing a
common directory structure to use, or maybe using an xml config file to
describe map types/locations and organization.

More ideas?