[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-Dev] Map Chooser: Easier Selection of Multiple Files

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Thu Dec 12 14:22:54 EST 2002

> Who was the one working on this Feature Request way back when?  Any
> progress to report?
>
> I've had quite a few people ask me about this recently.  Seems like
> it's really needed.  I know I could sure use it.

I think it was me.   I ran into bugs with lesstif, and got
distracted.  I should test my code with openmotif, (it works fine with
solaris motif!)   I actually want to redo my changes to make it more
integrated with the index (like show map extents while you are
choosing?) so I want to use a different technique that should avoid
the problem.

I REALLY need it too, I just finished a script to generate .geo files
for the "Topo!" cds, so I now have 173,226 new .geo files... it took
about ten minutes to bring up the map chooser window while testing
with "only" 7000 maps... (!)

I am leaving tomorrow for a week in mexico (scuba diving in cozumel)
so I won't have time to make much progress until the holidays.

Any other input to how it should work?  I want:

resizable
expand/collapse directories
select/deselect whole directories at a time
button to re-index (Curt, can you move it from the config menu to the
  maps pulldown for now?)

I would like:

show extents (maybe an extents plot that draws the maps as labelled
  boxes)
select auto-map candidates
add directories outside the install tree?
Select zoom levels that are active
select layer to draw on

Anything else?

Chris.