[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-Dev] Map Chooser: Easier Selection of Multiple Files

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Dec 12 14:39:42 EST 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Chris Bell wrote:

> I think it was me.   I ran into bugs with lesstif, and got
> distracted.  I should test my code with openmotif, (it works fine with
> solaris motif!)   I actually want to redo my changes to make it more
> integrated with the index (like show map extents while you are
> choosing?) so I want to use a different technique that should avoid
> the problem.
>
> I REALLY need it too, I just finished a script to generate .geo files
> for the "Topo!" cds, so I now have 173,226 new .geo files... it took
> about ten minutes to bring up the map chooser window while testing
> with "only" 7000 maps... (!)

Cool!  I want that capability as well.  I was thinking about adding
support directly to the C code for those maps, but your way is
certainly viable!

I really want that Topo! support so that I can show it off to the
non-believers.  Care to do MapTech as well???  DeLorme topo's???
AllTopoMaps???

> I am leaving tomorrow for a week in mexico (scuba diving in cozumel)
> so I won't have time to make much progress until the holidays.

Hey wait!  Send changes to me in some reasonable DIFF format against
the current CVS, and I'll work on it a bit over the holidays.  Maybe
I can polish up what you did, or at least get something rough into
the code that others can polish up.

> Any other input to how it should work?  I want:
>
> resizable
> expand/collapse directories
> select/deselect whole directories at a time
> button to re-index (Curt, can you move it from the config menu to the
>   maps pulldown for now?)

I wanted it more out of the way, since most people won't be using it
much.  It's easy to move though if that's what people prefer.

Those are the main things I'm after at the moment.

> I would like:
>
> show extents (maybe an extents plot that draws the maps as labelled
>   boxes)
> select auto-map candidates
> add directories outside the install tree?
> Select zoom levels that are active
> select layer to draw on

I'm sure we'll think of something!  That list is of nice-to-have
things, but they're not requirements at this point.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com