[Xastir-Dev] Thoughts on GDAL?

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon Dec 16 03:23:35 EST 2002

A lot of developer time gets spent on map layouts and stuff.

I was looking for a FreeBSD package for geotiff when I came across
something called GDAL (Geospatial Data Abstraction Library).
Basically it converts a bunch of formats to a single abstract data
model, so it doesn't matter what you're handed, you just give it to
GDAL and it gives you something you can work with.  It is licensed
under the "X/MIT License" which is sufficiently open for our
purposes.  Binaries are available for Linux and Windows, and there's a
port for FreeBSD.  Anything that will compile under Linux today will
easily compile under Solaris tomorrow, according to conventional
wisdom.

Curt, this looks like it could save you an amazing amount of time and
effort.  Could you look it over and see if it's worth taking
seriously?

The URL is http://remotesensing.org/gdal/.

Jack.
--