[Xastir-Dev] I'm adding support for maps.aprsworld.net

James Jefferson jjeffers at aprsworld.net
Sun Dec 29 11:02:54 EST 2002

List- I'm adding support to Xastir for using maps.aprsworld.net. The web
interface is a lot like the Tiger map server, so it isn't too difficult. The
result will be a relatively faster internet map server that will provide the
functionallity of having local shapefiles without needing gigabytes of them.

The difficulty I'm having is with the projections. It appears that Xastir is
expecting a project map. But to what projection? I'm getting icons that are
showing up wrong by a block or two. I'm drawing the map based on the left,
right, top, and bottom variables (latitude and longitude bounding box) in the
draw_tiger_map() function.

maps.aprsworld.net should be similar to mapblast. It is presenting an
unprojected image. When I overlay the local shapefiles of the same data on
top of the maps.aprsworld.net maps it looks like left to right is on the
right scale, but up and down are totally wrong.

Thoughts?

-Jim

PS - I have a few preliminary screen shots at:

http://aprsworld.net/tmp/