[Xastir-Dev] Character Not Supported

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Dec 31 11:48:42 EST 2002

On 31 Dec 2002, Gerry Wheeler wrote:

> I don't often run Xastir from a shell, but when I do I get a lot of this
> error:
>
> Warning:
>     Name: create_appshell text_output
>     Class: XmTextField
>     Character '\171' not supported in font.  Discarded.
>
> The actual character value changes. I grepped Xastir, but couldn't find
> this message, so it must be coming from elsewhere. This has only started
> since I installed Red Hat 8.0.
>
> The funny thing is that I can't see anything missing from the display of
> Xastir. So if it's discarding characters, I don't know what ones.

Interesting.  Does it happen only on particular dialogs, or on the
main window?  Does it show if you turn off all maps?

I suspect you might have something in your map files (GNIS?) or
perhaps in other files (xastir.cnf, map_index.sys, ???) that's
causing this.  It might be tricky looking for character '\171'
using grep.  :-(

Are you running the very latest CVS?  It's possible that you got
some corruption in your map_index.sys file due to earlier bugs.  Try
killing Xastir, deleting that file, then restarting Xastir.  That
should re-create the map_index.sys file with clean values (assuming
you've updated to the latest CVS first).

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com