[Xastir-Dev] Character Not Supported

Gerry Wheeler gwheeler at vmguys.com
Tue Dec 31 12:45:16 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 11:48, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> Interesting.  Does it happen only on particular dialogs, or on the
> main window?  Does it show if you turn off all maps?

It happens on the main window, even with all maps turned off. If I use
the arrow keys to pan across the (empty) screen, I get the same nine
messages for each keypress. The characters it complains about are:

\132 \157 \157 \155 \40 \62 \62 \65 \71

Assuming those are octal values, that would be "Zoom 2259".

I enabled some shapefile maps and repeated the procedure, and got a
bunch of errors that decode to the following: "Loading
5-us/0-states/s_24ja01.shpZoom 2259". That first part, before the
"Zoom", is the name of one of my shapefiles.

Ah, I have it! Those strings are supposed to be displayed in the status
bar. When I first start Xastir I see the zoom level reported as "Zoom
2259", but after the first time I pan the map that part of the status
bar is just blank. The other part of the message should be written in
the leftmost part of the status bar. Things happen so quickly there,
though, that there's no way to see if it's really being written there.

There are lots of other strings being written to the status bar, though,
so not all characters are being discarded. And surely they all use the
same alphabet, so I don't know why the same characters are discarded
some times but not others.

> I suspect you might have something in your map files (GNIS?) or
> perhaps in other files (xastir.cnf, map_index.sys, ???) that's
> causing this.  It might be tricky looking for character '\171'
> using grep.  :-(

I'm using only shape files and some .geo files for the NWS radar. This
error was around before I added the .geo files.

> Are you running the very latest CVS?

Yes.

>  It's possible that you got
> some corruption in your map_index.sys file due to earlier bugs.  Try
> killing Xastir, deleting that file, then restarting Xastir.  That
> should re-create the map_index.sys file with clean values (assuming
> you've updated to the latest CVS first).

Done. Same thing.

--
Gerry Wheeler      KG4NBB
VM Systems, Inc.   +1 239 596 2480 x24