[Xastir-Dev] Re-org of file releases?

Chuck Byam cbyam at virginia.edu
Sat Nov 2 23:38:34 EST 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 15:00, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
<<snip, snip>>
.|
.| 1) Rename the file to include "slackware-8" in the name.
.|
.| 2) Hide it altogether and just leave the tarball's available for
.| download (no binary files available for download).
.|
.| 3) Create another heading or subheading (if possible) in order to
.| group binary releases in an easily recognizable manner.  I haven't
.| checked yet whether this is possible with the current file release
.| system.  There may be some capabilities that we're not using though
.| that would help to organize what we have.
.|
.| Other options?

The only way that I can see that this could be done in a manageable way would
be to build debs and/or rpms of a stable release (at least more frequent).
The problem with building packages is maintaining them, and in the case of
rpm's, the sometimes significant differences between distro's.  Tarballs
could also be included in this as well.  With respect to the "new" or
"neophyte" user, expecting them to be able to build from source (this
includes src.rpm) could, and frequently is a formidable task.  I recall we
had this discussion in the past and there was no concensus on what a "base"
rpm would look like and what dependencies would be required.  Because xastir
can have many dependencies depending on how it is built, this would also have
to be resolved before we could move forward with this.  For the brave at
heart there's always cvs.

Chuck