[Xastir-Dev] Weather alert county overlays

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Nov 4 13:34:31 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> Did something happen with the code that draws the county overlays for
> weather alerts? This morning, I awoke to find my county in a flood
> watch, but Xastir has the following display:
> http://www.lightningflash.net/~jlc7944/xastir_strange_weatheralert.png
>
> the blue flood overlay is broken up with spots not covered by the overlay.

There was a problem with interpretation of some of the Shapefile
data.  That was a bug fixed in Xastir recently.  It had to do with
some fields being NULL, where Xastir matched on the first NULL field
for a zone instead of continuing on.  I spoke with NOAA and NULL's
are allowed in those fields, so I fixed Xastir to compensate.  That
bug has been in there for a while, but nobody noticed I guess.  I
was seeing Guam light up for severe winter storm alerts, which was a
clue that there was something wrong.

I also found some vectors that had longitudes lower than -180.0, and
NOAA has been notified of those.  Three shapes had that as I recall.

Make sure you're running one of the latest versions of Xastir if you
want the weather warnings to be accurate.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com