[Xastir-Dev] dead-reckoning, revisited

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Fri Nov 8 22:03:10 EST 2002

I just added this comment to the sourceforge project page for xastir:

we now have wind barbs as well as a function for drawing a
circle around a station (for tracking). It seems to me that
this could be combined *very* easily to enable dead-reckoning.

For every update of the pixmap, draw a circle around the
station representing the area that the station *could* be
in, if it kept the same speed. Also, draw a "calm"
wind barb
in the direction of travel of the station, so that you can
also see (where the wind barb and circle intersect) where
the station would be if it maintained both its current speed
and its current heading.

 From that point, perhaps a clone/modification could be made
of the circle-drawing function so that it fills in the
circle with an increasingly transparent fill.

Seems to me from looking at the code that most of the guts
of this exists. I tried playing around with it, but I need
to study the code more to understand xastir-coordinates and
some of the X drawing routines.
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
Apple decided to charge money for my mac.com address so:
joe at lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.