[Xastir-Dev] Re: [Xastir] XASTIR <=> RH 8.0

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Fri Oct 25 16:56:40 EDT 2002

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <Curt> writes:

Jack> Did any other project developers speak out on how they handle
Jack> the situation?  I cannot believe that we are on our own here.

Curt> No.  I heard a bit of the "me too" thing, but mostly I heard "XX
Curt> changes the API every once in a while even when he/she says that
Curt> it's frozen".

And we can't really stage a coup.  That's rude.  Right?

Curt> I also relayed the bit about the earlier problem we had, where
Curt> the API changed, and the version library call returned the same
Curt> number for both versions.

Curt> What was suggested to someone else was that they standardize on
Curt> one version of ImageMagick for 6-9 months, and let ImageMagick
Curt> change in the meantime.  That way the app doesn't have to
Curt> change.

That's not really reasonable for us, and you give one of the better
reasons why not below.

Curt> This might work kind'a ok for major OS versions burned to CD,
Curt> but doesn't work for a separate package like Xastir where people
Curt> always download the newest libs when they first load Xastir.

Or who already have arbitrary versions of the aforementioned product
installed on their system for other packages, or ...

Curt> How's about we provide our own download site for getting
Curt> libraries known to work with the latest Xastir?  That way we
Curt> could just update the files once in a while, and people would
Curt> have a one-stop-shopping experience for the additional
Curt> libraries.

Jack> That'd work for the people who only use ImageMagick for Xastir
Jack> and who use popular operating systems.  The rest of us will have
Jack> to continue to keep Xastir up to rev with ImageMagick.

Curt> Understand.  Right now I use it almost exclusively for Xastir.
Curt> I don't do a lot of work with images otherwise.

I use it for image manipulation for web services and other tools.  It
kicks butt until you look under the covers.

Curt> Any more suggestions?  I'd love to have a way to get around
Curt> "little" problems like these.  Having to scurry about and do
Curt> code changes every time a new release of ImageMagick comes out
Curt> isn't my idea of coding fun.

I was hoping other package developers would be interested in an
ImageMagick shim of sorts, or perhaps that some of the IM developers
would be interested in aggressively supporting the version call and
documenting all the API changes to make this task less onerous.

Jack.
(but I can dream.)
--
Jack Twilley