[Xastir-Dev] Re: [Xastir] XASTIR install?????

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 28 09:48:01 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, James Jefferson wrote:

> Could we provide a statically linked binary? It would be massive, but easy to
> get going.

I'd very much rather that we didn't.  It's a lot of work for very
little gain.  The binary would be rather large, and it'd hang around
on SourceForge long after it's usefulness is over.  This would
(later) attract people to download a large file only to find out it
doesn't work on their system, similar to the Slackware download we
have now that people are downloading without reading the notes that
it's for Slackware (version xx) only.

I'd prefer that the Slackware binary be hidden as soon as possible,
as it looks like a LOT of people are downloading it.  I expect with
less than optimum results (since most aren't running Slackware).

Source releases have a longer useful lifetime, and have other uses
besides compiling (tracking what has changed over time in the sources
for example).

I'd prefer that we find another solution.  I acknowledge that there
is a problem there which needs to be solved.

It could be done by providing a script which would autodownload
libraries (known to work well with Xastir) from a central site?
Perhaps just provide that central site and known-good libraries and a
web page pointing to everything needed?

It'd be good to either write a mini-doc on how to install or add more
for the neophyte user to README.1ST and have it available in HTML
somewhere?  Stuff like "how to download", "how to unarchive into a
directory", "please read the README.1ST file by typing this command",
stuff like that.

Let's hear some suggestions on the best way to get neophyte Linux/
Unix/MacOSX people up and running with this software.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer