[Xastir-Dev] problem with drg geotiff maps

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Oct 28 19:10:21 EST 2002

Already I see this in the .fgd file:

  Abstract:  The Digital Raster Graphic (DRG) is a scanned image of a US Geological
    Survey (USGS) standard series topographic map that includes all collar information
    (e.g., legend, scale bar, index map, etc.) The DRGE is a non-proprietary product
    of a USGS DRG in which the map collar information has been removed.
  Purpose: The DRGE is useful as a source or background layer in a GIS, as a means to
     perform quality assurance on other digital products, and as a source for the
     collection and revision of DLG data.  The DRGE can also be merged with other
     digital data, e.g. DEM's or DOQ's, to produce a hybrid digital file. The removal
     of the collar information allows the DRGE to be edge-matched and displayed
     simultaneously in a Geographic Information System.

So you're not playing with DRG's, but with DRGE's.  The map collars
have been cropped off.

Looking at the file with XV, it looks like they might have been
stretched into a rectangle as well.  Xastir hasn't been tweaked to
handle these files 'cuz I've never seen or heard of this format
before.

This is the format that I wish DRG would have been, as these should
be much easier to tile together than DRG's.

Gerry:  Think we need to support this new format for you Texas
people?  Both Gerry's can respond to this one actually.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com