[Xastir-Dev] problem with drg geotiff maps

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Oct 29 13:14:46 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> I have a problem with viewing GeoTIFF drg maps for my area. I think I
> saw this problem several months ago, but didn't do anything about it
> since I didn't need the maps.
>
> I figure it ought to be taken care of...
>
> I don't want to pay $$ now to download drg maps, so I found a public
> site that has data for Texas, where I am. The DRG GeoTIFF files from:
> http://www.tnris.state.tx.us/digital.htm
>
> cause Xastir to segfault when attempting to index them or draw them. For
> a specific example, look at the "BRYAN EAST" block in Brazos County, TX
> from the above website.

Look at the FGD file for this map.  Here's the one section we
try to use from that file:

 Spatial_Domain:
  Bounding_Coordinates:
   West_Bounding_Coordinate: 96.3784
   East_Bounding_Coordinate: 96.2464
   North_Bounding_Coordinate: 30.75258
   South_Bounding_Coordinate: 30.62242

And here's the equivalent section for a USGS DRG fgd file:

  Bounding Coordinates

1.5.1.1  WEST BOUNDING COORDINATE:  -122.000000

1.5.1.2  EAST BOUNDING COORDINATE:  -120.000000

1.5.1.3  NORTH BOUNDING COORDINATE:  48.000000

1.5.1.4  SOUTH BOUNDING COORDINATE:  47.000000

We appear to parse both of them correctly, but check out where the
numbers place the first one:  I think it's in China, right above
Bhutan.  Not in Texas.  They forgot the '-' sign in front of the
longitude.

That's just the first problem, not the full solution for using these
maps.  If you add the '-' sign, you get an error message from
Xastir.

Mine is not segfaulting while indexing it or while trying to draw
it.  Are you using Xastir CVS?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com