[Xastir-Dev] Symbols disappearing and malloc errors without crashing

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Aug 12 19:19:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, David Flood wrote:

> I didn't get a dump file (or don't know where to find it if I did get one)
> but did lose all icons and tracks about 5 min ago.
>
> Here's the error:
>
> Malloc[79580]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x3cc7b30;....
>
> The station count was around 2024.  I'm still seeing stations being reported
> in the lower left corner.  If I do a find on a station the map moves and
> redraws to the right position on the displayed map.  Just no icons and no
> tracks.

That means your main thread is still running, and at least one
interface's read thread is running.

> Just for fun I just did a stop and then start of my one active feed (feed #2
> went down about the same time the worm hit so probably a firewall got
> tightened at the EDU that it is hosted at).  I got my icons and tracks back
> as soon as the cache was finished downloading including the aged tracks and
> icons showing as faded out and/or dots.

This sounds suspiciously like one of your threads died or got
confused.  These threads deal with the interface, either the read or
write threads (or both).  Stopping/starting the interface would have
killed both threads and started up new ones.

It's possible that some errant condition in the socket connection
may have caused this.

It's also possible that the error message you're getting is
misleading.  Bob (kd7nm) found a bug where changing properties on an
"up" interface can cause a lock problem to occur.  I think
killing/restarting interfaces fixes that one sometimes as well.
It's possible that you've found the same or a similar bug.

BTW:  My station counts regularly surpasse 20,000 (current counts
are 19763 and 24380), so it's not a problem with too many stations.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com