[Xastir-Dev] US radar composite available

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Aug 31 13:49:49 EDT 2003

I've started making the US NEXRAD radar composites available.  These are
updated on a 12 minute basis, and may be accessed via
ftp://page4.tamu.edu/pub/radar/

The .geo file I'm recommending is USrad.geo and is in that directory.
The image you'll use is ftp://page4.tamu.edu/pub/radar/USrad.png

Currently, the background is black and I'm not going to have enough time
to learn enough ImageMagick to see if we can make it transparent.
There're others on this list who are more conversant with the program
than I, who might be able to help there.  I suspect it's possible to add
an 'offsite 0 0 0' command, if we've implemented it (that's the command
in MapServer and that's also using ImageMagick, but then again, they
also use gdal).

The data are derived from the National Weather Service's WSR-88D doppler
data and are received via the Unidata Local Data Manager (LDM).  They
are processed to images using Unidata's Gempak utilities.

Soon as I figure out what happened last time I tried this, I'll move
image generation up to 5-min refresh.  For WSR-88D that's pretty timely.

Somewhere down the pike I'll have the capabilities to process the
real-time data and will make real-time NEXRAD available.  Likely that's
a next-summer project.

Please test and send comments.  I'm planning to implement some other
areas of the Country (NW, SW, N Plains, Cent. Plains, S. Plains, NE, SE)
as time permits and will publish that info to the APRS sig and the
xastir list.

FWIW, use of this will help my project in lean budget times...

73, gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173