[Xastir-dev] Position accuracy

Gerry Creager (N5JXS) gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 8 13:16:20 EST 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>

>>The compressed positions with resolution of 1 foot are really
>>misrepresentations.  Bob B.'s said this, and I've actually agreed with
>>him, although not always for the same reasons he stated.
>

> Care to elaborate?  What is the resolution (roughly) that one can
> expect from the compressed protocol?  I know it's much better than
> the normal APRS position resolution.

Well, unless you're using Real Time Kinematic hardware, you're likely
seeing 6m data at best.  If we do a careful analysis of the GPS signal
and system, you should not expect anything better than somewhere between
29-45m from a conservative||pessimistic evaluation of the error budget
for well designed receivers with adequate processors and code, using
code-phase determination of autonomous position on L1 C/A codes.  This
ignores augmentation by conventional DGPS, or WAAS.  These should offer
an improvement of UP TO an order of magnitude, but may actually degrade
accuracy if you're not careful...  I can get into the mechanics of this
later if you like.

NOW:  Is that 0.1 x 29m or 0.1 x 6m?  And how'd we get 6m anyway?  Well,
we got it empirically, and that started literally the minute we saw SA
turned off.  Most of the time, well over 80%, usually >95% (for suitable
intervals) we see accuracies on the order of 6 minutes, that are
systemmatic and pseudorandom or random.  Augmentation will improve the
REAL state of accuracy, in my experience, by a factor of 10.  The error
budget, however, of the augmentation mechanism must also be evaluated.
And there's the rub.  For poor selection of WAAS platforms, you can in
fact degrade performance.  Similarly, I've seen this happen with RTK
installations, and regular DGPS sites.  Typically, the user's fat dumb
and happy, because their receiver is claiming some incredible error
figure, that has no basis in reality.

>>When you're entering data for a position, it's considered good practice
>>in the geodetic surveying community to enter the coordinates as
>>precisely and accurately as possible.  That way, if there's a subsequent
>>loss of precision, it's not for want of good initial data.
>

> Kind of like getting the best possible S/N ratio at the initial
> injection point of the signal into the receiver...  Garbage in,
> Garbage out.

Exactly the point.  We should not be sending a position represented to
more precision than we have data to support!

73, gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Office: 979.458.4020  FAX: 979.847.8578
Cell: 979.229.5301    Pager: 979.228.0173